blue squirrel

after a self-imposed 20 year absence from cycling, the sport i love, i am back and dedicated to holding my own in the superfast 40+ catagory. this blog will tell the journey, the highs and the lows, the team [team becher+] and it's cast of characters, our sponsors, supporters, and other local riders that make it happen... [anonymous comments are lame, cowboy up and put a name or start a blog]

Saturday, January 02, 2010

WIND

today was a good 60 miles, in beautiful sunny +75 degree LA weather. that was until we hit the far north east corner of the valley coming out of sylmar. the wind kicked up and gusts were blowing at over+40mph. it seemed like more than that, but none of us got blown over today. which i am sure made my orthopedic surgeon happy, not to mention me.

team news
the new year brought our first top 10 finishes of the 2010 season with a 6th place by patrick piccolo and an 8th by benjamin barry in the san bruno hill climb. way to go guys, that is one b_tch of a climb and all your preseason work is already starting to pay off.

race report
[san bruno hill climb / patrick piccolo]
Bright and early this morning was the first race of the Northern California season, the epic 3.5 mile straight up San Bruno Hill Climb. Thankfully the race started at 10 am and is a 10 min. drive from the city, so I was able to get a little of sleep beforehand. That however, that didn’t seem to help me feel ready or at all well. Though the race is short, its pretty steep and fast. Ben and I had a good start and perhaps went a little too hard at first, but then again the higher up you go the steeper it gets so its hard to tell. The last 100m are the worst and I just didn’t have the legs (or the stomach as it turns out) that i needed. I ended up doing it 17 min. 55 sec. which was good enough for 6th. Ben came in about 20 seconds later for 8th. Aside from the fact that I felt like death for the few seconds before I puked up my banana just after the finish, I would have to say I was feeling good and had a good time. Ben was mad that I talked him in to doing it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home