blue squirrel

after a self-imposed 20 year absence from cycling, the sport i love, i am back and dedicated to holding my own in the superfast 40+ catagory. this blog will tell the journey, the highs and the lows, the team [team becher+] and it's cast of characters, our sponsors, supporters, and other local riders that make it happen... [anonymous comments are lame, cowboy up and put a name or start a blog]

Monday, April 20, 2009

EXTRA

[updated 2009.04.29]
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT
Font size
  • wes scores team becher+'s first podium of the 2009 season at the torrance crit.
  • 2nd place, elite cat 4
pictures and full race report to following from wes.


in other news, i get my Ti plate on my left collarbone finally taken out this wednesday (22 apr 2009).  than i can officially start riding again.  it has been a long long road back and i hope the surgery goes well and it is not re-fractured during the removal process.  all your prays and well wishes are truly welcome.  see you all on the road again soon, officially...  



(heres a little teaser of wes in action at long beach, we hope to have some torrance finish photos soon.)

update
[here is wes's journal account for his 1st place, oops i mean 2nd place]

In the Cat 4 crit in Torrance we had a small field of about 50 riders due to Chuck Pontius being held on the same day. I looked around when we lined up and saw some of the heavy hitters made it out to Torrance and knew it the small field would only make the race faster. Two laps and a break of 6 riders go off the front. I reacted too slow and finally decided I need to be in every break in this race because of the small field so I jumped and spent 2 laps in no man’s land finally bridging the gap to join the break. We held off the peloton for about 5 laps and than were reeled in. My legs where feeling really good and I knew I would be aggressive all race. About 2 laps later I got in a break of 4 that stayed away for about 4 laps or so before getting caught. 2 laps later the pace slowed so I decided to jump knowing someone would come with me and indeed I got one more rider to go with me and this one stuck for awhile but again we chased down. Later a solo rider went away and I was too tired to bridge and seeing no one went with him knew he wasn’t going to be a threat not to mention we had 20 minutes left in the race and it was windy. I helped reel him back in after letting him dangle for 5 or 6 laps (Torrance is a really short course only ½ mile long). The very next lap my friend James took a flyer so I joined him. He exhausted himself on the initial effort, so I came around to pull and ended up dropping him. I held up let him catch back on and take a turn than came around again for my turn and dropped him again. Realizing he wasn’t going to be strong enough to make it stick I sat up and waited to be caught by the peloton.

At this point we went to lap cards with 6 to go. A rider from Ironfly went to the front and set a nice pace that no one willing to come around him, I was sitting second wheel. The rider from Ironfly continued to pull and knowing he had 4 other teammates in the race I refused to come around to pull since that would have to be the job of his teammates. I sat in staying uber vigilant watching over my shoulder for the possible attack up the side. Nothing happened until the last lap. The Ironfly rider still pulling he lifted the pace stringing out the group which made me happy. Just out of turn 3 just what I expected a rider sitting 5 wheel or so jumped from the outside so I jumped and grabbed his wheel and followed him hauling ass right into the super windy section for the course. I knew I had to jump before the last turn seeing it is only about a 250meter sprint to the line out of turn 4. So I did, I jumped and sailed to the outside taking turn 4 super HOT jammed passed the rider and stood and gave everything I had to hold off the peloton. I saw one rider creep up to my right and we sprinted it out for the remaining 100 meters. He beat me by a rim! A stinking rim! Leaving me to finish 2nd. First podium of the season for yours truly and I got pictures to prove it! Oh and a copy of the check I deposited today! 
So there it is a perfect time for me to find my form with Dana Point, which is a National Race Calendar race coming up next weekend were the points are doubled. The second place awarded me 11 points, which skyrocketed me to 70th place in the socal cup standings! 
With that said I just wanted to take a second to thank Jim for all the support he has provided me throughout the past two seasons. He shows up or calls me before every race to prepare me and does the same after every race to hear the stories of both victory and defeat, always supporting me regardless of the outcome. Thanks again Jim I am honored to have you as my Director Sportif and as my friend! The next one will be a win buddy!

PS. I told you team my money was on me! haha.







Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Wesley K said…

    Hope the surgery goes well Jim. It will be great to ride with you again. Best wishes. Oh and thanks for all the props!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home