blue squirrel

after a self-imposed 20 year absence from cycling, the sport i love, i am back and dedicated to holding my own in the superfast 40+ catagory. this blog will tell the journey, the highs and the lows, the team [team becher+] and it's cast of characters, our sponsors, supporters, and other local riders that make it happen... [anonymous comments are lame, cowboy up and put a name or start a blog]

Monday, June 16, 2008

WEEKEND

[wes post]
images will be posted soon.

Saturday Brian and I contested the Cat 4 at San Fernando. After controlling the entire race i.e. bringing back breaks and setting tempo along with Chester and Seth of Platinum Racing we were set to go with two to go. On the Bell lap Brian moved into the lead-out position taking the lead of the peleton and ramping the pace like he does so well. The guys from Platinum let me in to take Brian’s wheel (Becher + gets respect). Through the S-Turn and down to the final turn Brian let a few through setting me up taking 3rd wheel. After the Big U turn I ended up in front, not where I would like to be at all,especially with 700 meters or so to the finish. After looking back and seeing a small gap on the peleton I jumped and put my head down and hammered. Obviously an amature move, with about 200 meters to go a huge group of guys go my me leaving me to finish a lousy 27th. What an upsetting finish for me, especially with such a great move from Brian I felt that I really let him down. I had top 5 at least cinched and blew it. Live and learn I guess. Brian finished in 33rd.

Sunday I represented Becher+ in the Cat 4 at Bicycle Johns Grand Prix. A new course from last years and a great one at that. A really fast 3 1/2 turn really really fast course. About 20 minutes of really fast paced racing a group of 7 went up the road. I scanned the group from the peleton to see who was in it. It was both Seth and Chester from Platinum racing, and a few other big hitters that have been racing really well lately. Therefore I knew that it was the winning break with that line up in it. So I planned my attack and launched out of the peleton and bridged the gap solo to enter the break. What started as a 10 second gap from the field we ramped up the pace all working really really hard to put time on the peleton which we did. When a crash in the peleton occured on turn one it enabled us to increase our split on the field. With five to go the peleton were closing in but it was too late to catch us because we were flying. On the last lap in turn three our paceline got split up when one of our break away riders flated and caused our group to split into two paceline. After the final turn we all hammered but my group of 4 got behind, but I sprinted past one rider and finished 6th overall. Seriously without a doubt one of the hardest efforts I ever put into a race. It was murder just hanging on to that break let alone after taking my pull when it was my turn. What a great way to finish the weekend!! Some great racing and workout for the up and coming state championships next week.

Thanks for all the hollering and cheering and yelling of split times from Jim, John, Greg, and of course my girlfriend Kristine!!

Thanks for reading

Wes

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home